One of the several villages within English Martyrs’ parish, Shardlow has been called the ‘Clapham Junction’ of the canal system in the East Midlands. Shardlow Hall was built by the Hunt family in 1684; by the end of the seventeenth century the estate was in the possession of the Holden family of Aston-on-Trent, but they sold it to the Fosbrookes who made their fortune in the barge business, and substantially extended the house in 1726. In the 1820′s the Hall and estate was sold to the Sutton family.
Today, the Hall is owned by Mr Shengan Frawley Esquire. Shardlow C of E parish has wihtin it Great Wilne.
[Image: St James Church, Shardlow – www.trentderwentchurches.org.uk]Allenton | Alvaston | Ambaston | Aston on Trent | Boulton | Chellaston | Crewton | Elvaston | Shardlow | Shelton Lock